The town of Balchik is situated 36 km north northeast of Varna, on the Black Sea Coast. It is located partly on the sea shore and partly on the Dobroudzha and the Frangen plateau. The height varies from sea level to the level of the plateau and reaches up to 250 meters, hence its standing in tiers. There is regular bus service to Varna and Dobrich, another town to the west of Balchik.
The town has a history spanning over 2,600 years. During that period it was known as the ancient Greek colony of Krouni, the Greek and subsequently Byzantine fortress of Dionyssopolis, mediaeval Bulgarian town Karvouna and the Ottoman and subsequently again Bulgarian town of Balchik.
Today Balchik is a small but very romantic Bulgarian seaside town. With its white rocks, and houses standing in tiers, this is a preferred place for rest and tourism by the people of art and culture, scientists and foreign visitors. With its narrow streets and picturesque landscape, the town is a living symbol of a peaceful world.
The beach strip reaches up to 30 kilometers in length, which is an important premise for the development of the region in the sphere of tourism and recreation. This area is extremely rich in mineral springs and underground waters, which are the main sources for the modern water-supply system with a capacity of 1000 liters per second. There is a big harbor used for medium-sized passenger and trade vessels.
One of the most interesting places in the vicinity of the town is the Palace "Quiet Nest" - a modest building constructed upon three terraces, combining elements of the Moor style, Mediterranean architecture and the typical Bulgarian house. The extravagant minaret renders a touch of oriental opulence to the building. The architectural complex was built by Italian architects Amerigo and Agustino within the period 1920-1936. It was the summer residence of the Romanian queen at the time of the Romanian occupation of South Dobroudzha.
The place is famous mainly for its exotic botanical garden - the biggest and most diverse in the Balkans. Flowers and trees from the Mediterranean islands, the Pacific Ocean, the Black Sea, South Asia, and America delight the visitor. The garden is a "residence" of about 3,000 species (over 250 of which are cactuses), set up between waterfalls, streams and ornamental canals.
The area of Touzlata is located 4 km. east of the town and is well known for its curing mud. A balneo center was built here beside the two lakes, formed by old landslide. It receives patients suffering from disorders of the bones. A large recreation complex, a lot of villas, bungalows and a camping site have been built here. There is a mineral water spring with temperature of 31oC